Sunday 26 April 2009

Shrewsbury Aftermath

Just back from the Shrewsbury Cartoon Festival, where I attended dinners where it was not only OK to draw on the tablecloth, but it was expected. I was doing my cartoon (about gherkins) on one side of the table, and explaining that cross-hatching is a calming, almost meditative thing to do...

In the meantime, Steve Bright was doing the following portrait:



I was deeply touched when he presented me with the item, which he had carefully torn from the tablecloth, the following day. He blushed prettily and shuffled his feet.

3 comments:

Steve McBright said...

Leaving aside my pretty blushing, how could you possibly have noticed my shuffling feet without spotting I was wearing a kilt, Cathy?

Tablecloth art rocks, doesn't it? I've been thrown out of so many restaurants, I've lost count. You took it to another level, of course - I'll probably never cross-hatch again...it just wouldn't be right.

It was a joy to meet you - I look forward to the next time.

Paul Chokran said...

Actually, Cathy was cross hatching a plot, but she lost it ...

Tim Leatherbarrow said...

I'm impressed, i had murder trying to tear off a pile of caricatures on a table cloth ,when the damn thing ripped in a fairly straight line right through a simon ellinas drawing of my good missus, who's still convinced i did it deliberatly......i do my best, but it's never enough.
Tim