Friday 9 October 2009

Spring Forward, Fall Back

I've been suffering with lower back pain for a while - ever since someone at the Sidmouth Folk Festival decided it would be a good idea to do can-can style kicks on a slippery floor. This would have been OK, but she was holding my hand at the time and when she went arse-over-tit she took me down with her. In an uncontrolled fashion. One might even say 'with a bump'.

Anyway, a treatment by an osteopath yielded only temporary relief and things were getting desperate - activities like driving, putting on shoes and socks and lying in bed were becoming excruciating; then I nabbed a physiotherapist whose consulting room is just down the corridor from the Occupational Therapy Office (Adult Clinical). (This is where I hang out sometimes). She prodded a bit, got me to do things and then, on the basis of when I yelped and how, informed me I have a sacroiliac joint injury - the ligaments probably being pulled when aforementioned Moulin Rouge (or should that be Moulin Rough) impersonator went into action.

But I digress. Now I am obliged to go to the gym every day, remedial exercises three times a day, and no high impact or twisty type things - which totally kiboshes any dancing for the foreseeable future. The worst was yet to come, though. I was wondering if going for long walks would be a good idea, or to be avoided, and looked online. Found a forum where someone had asked the same question, so it seemed, but then ... this is how it read:

'Dave has just been diagnosed with having a possible Sacroiliac Injury. The extent of the injury is not known but it is likely he did it when he was a racehorse.'

Well, it's indicated at least one activity in which I shouldn't participate ...

1 comment:

Tim Leatherbarrow said...

Dear cripple ,Watch yourself on the jumps, behave yourself on the flat while your at it.
Joking aside ,try Tai-Chi ,find a class and try it out for a few months, give it a go and i guarantee, if your serious with it ,you should get some response.
spiritually uplifted Tim xx