Friday 6 October 2006

Medieval Falconry



This is what I've been doing today ... arranging and rearranging things in Potatoshop. I haven't finished this illustration yet, and I may well bin it in favour of a different approach. At least it does have a falcon on it, though. I am trying to 'push the boundaries' of archaeological illustration beyond the very run-of-the-mill pictures you get of reconstructed castles, resplendent with figures that look like shop dummies. I'm still trying to convey the same information, though, which in this case is that this kind of falconry was very much the preserve of the wealthy, who viewed it as something of a party. As one of the few activities in which both men and women participated, it was often viewed as a metaphor for love.

I am trying to keep the decorative feel of an illuminated manuscript without actually producing a pastiche of one.

Anyway, it has been keeping me off the streets today!

3 comments:

andrea said...

I think you've achieved a unique approach whilst keeping the flavour of the illuminated manuscript.

Chris.P said...

Good stuff Cathy. I like the idea of breaking convention. I think it's a good idea to present archaeological images that recreate the atmosphere of the time.

ps congrats on the distinction! When should I start calling you 'Prof':¬)

Cathy said...

Just for now 'Puf' will do, Chris!