Saturday 27 October 2007

More stuff that's been in the news ...

Further to obesity being as big a threat to the planet as climate change, I heard today that the population of the UK is growing at a rate which will endanger food supply by 2050.

My first response to the information that the population was growing was along the lines of 'Well, this isn't really news, is it, because the population would have to grow if we're to achieve our target of 50% obesity by 2050'. But then I realised that I had misinterpreted the message. Not that the population was growing, but that there would be MORE PEOPLE. And that there won't be enough food for them all.

But surely won't that solve the obesity problem ...?

(I cannot bring myself to use the term 'obesity time bomb' as the mental pictures this conjures up are too horrifying to contemplate.)

3 comments:

Chris.P said...

Hi Cathy, The population issue is the one which transcends all others. Nations are too scared to deal with it because of political implications.

When I see really obese people walking around, it does make me wonder about the whole population/resources issue.

Thanks for the mention on your pervious post. Loving your work:¬)

Elizabeth said...

A few months ago, the two lead stories on the BBC website were (paraphrasing) "Pension/NHS funds inadequate because people will live longer" and "Rising obseity means people will die younger".

Apparently, seeing these as mutual solutions wasn't the correct way to go.

Cathy said...

I sometimes feel slightly guilty when I make observations like lack of food supply solving the obesity problem.

But not very.