Sunday 14 October 2007

Scary News

I heard on the news today (It was Radio 4, so it goes to show how serious it was)  - a guvverment announcement that obesity is now a greater threat than climate change.  They reckon that by 2050, half the adults in the UK will be obese.  Sorry ... but as big a threat as climate change? (You'd have to be VERY VERY obese to be that big!)

I can't see what function announcements like that have, other than to encourage overweight people who already have problems with self-esteem to feel even worse about themselves.

And, besides - what is the nature of the threat?  That the obese 50% of the population will sit on the other 50% and squash them?

3 comments:

Gretel said...

Yes, I couldn't see the analogy either, population could do with a good cull, and that could only be a good thing for the climate, surely?

Erica-Jane said...

Ooooo, I've never been to your blog before! I'm having a right good nosey around...
I'm just lurving your cartoons! They're so funny!

Now where did I put that box of cream buns...

Erica
xxx

Christiane said...

A very strange and ridiculous comparison I thought, too...it sounded to me as if it was to play down the climate change issues..?!