Sunday 16 August 2009

Just to show I can do normal paintings


This is a portrait I did of my long-standing friend Bridget - it is actually a 60th birthday present for her partner, and now I've presented it to him then I feel OK about sharing it openly on here.

I was an interesting exercise as she wanted it based on a particular photo which, as it happened, had very strong contrasts of light and shade - which look great in a photo, but really two-dimensional in a painting, especially one which is as small and intimate as this.

I couldn't have done it if it weren't for the fact that I know her really well, so there are elements of memory involved rather than just working from the photograph. It wouldn't have worked if it had been a photo of a stranger. I also had to put it away eventually or I'd have worked it to death!

2 comments:

Brighty said...

Cathy, that is a stunning portrait. Sometimes you can look at a portrait without ever having seen the subject before, and just know it captures them perfectly. I bet they were both thrilled with this. Beautiful work!

Amy C said...

you really are super talented, this is amazing