Thursday 25 February 2010

It's been a long haul, but all my miles are back again now

For those of you not familiar with a Peugeot 206, it has a nice little display which can be set to tell you how many miles you've got left before you need to supply the car with jungle juice. Well - I was in London last weekend, and ... all of a sudden ... all my miles just went away. Just like that. One minute it was registering '392M' and then, nothing. Fuel gauge dropped away to beyond empty. A swift glance beneath the car (it was stationary at the time) revealed that a fuel leak was not the culprit.

(Note - I had to think about the spelling of stationary just then. If it had been 'stationery', it would have had to have been a card rather than a car. But I digress.)

So, being that here were two displays, unconnected apart from their common purpose, which were registering zilch - it had to be the common purpose which was at fault. I have mentioned elsewhere on here the problems with the seal in the fuel tank. Evidently he has been playing up again and the sensor which conveys the information had gone off in a sulk. The head mechanic at the garage summed up the situation immediately: 'You mean, it's telling you lies!' I responded that it was, indeed, telling rampant porkies, handed over the keys and left it to him to sort out. I even trusted him with the rats on the dashboard.

Incidentally, the car had been a bit grubby, to the point that I was ashamed of it, so I'd dropped by at one of those 'Hand Car Wash from £3.00' sort of places, where a team of young gentlemen restored it to its former pristine state.

Tis passing strange, but since then I've had no fewer than three direct hits by an albatross with a continence problem. Has anyone else found this after they've had their car washed?

3 comments:

Leonard Gubbins said...

I always carry a slingshot in my glovebox, and kill any birds that squeeze one out over my precious car.

Hypervox said...

Cathy, you've come across the first universal law.

Percentage chance of being car being pooped on by birds = number of available birds in neighborhood / number of minutes since car was washed.

In short - clean, poop, repeat...

Cathy said...

You know, Hypervox, you're right! There weren't any birdies crapping on my car when it was all dirtified already!