Sunday 6 June 2010

Last night I shared a hotel room with ...

a Corby Trouser Press:


I really like these items, even though I've never used one, and I always experience one of those 'All's right with the World' moments when I enter a hotel room and meet one. Actually, the term 'press' is very apt; even in the illustration those trousers look SO very very two dimensional. And so do the legs wearing them.

There were some other good bits in that hotel room. You know the way that in James Thurber's cartoons, half the fun is in imagining what led up to the scene in the gag? Like the courtroom scene where someone's waving a large kangaroo and shouting 'Maybe THIS will refresh your memory!'? Well that's how I felt when I read the Non-Smoking Policy, which stated:

'We are asking you to respect our neighbourhood by keeping the NOISE LEVEL down and above all NOT THROWING anything out of the window.'

And, to cap it all, there was a piece of something-or-other, absorbent something-or-other declaring that it was my own personal bath/shower mat, but not to use it IN the bath/shower.

I just loved it. I'd certainly stay there again!

5 comments:

Hypervox said...

Oh, this so reminds me of my last 2 nights away - let me recount the tale...

I had purchased 2 nights away at a local 3 star hotel, using the old quaint old fashioned currency called "tescos vouchers". We arrived at a quaint, old english inn, where we had to park 15 minutes walk away, because the car park was built in the horse and carriage days.

On arriving in our room, we were greeted by a wave of heat. Our heating was at full blast, but I managed to turn it down by fiddling with the radiator vales (no thermostat). Tried to open a window, but the windows were old fashioned sash windows that had been double glazed over. Out came a window panel, and in came fresh air - abeit very slowly. This was soon fixed by jamming the bathroom window open (about 3 inches square) with a razor.
Went to put the TV on, and found that the arial had come out of it's plug (not just out of the wall) - one fixed peice of coax cable later, and we were watching tv (I should have charged thema repair fee).
We couldn't use the water from the bathroom for drinking, and they only supplied us two coke sized water bottles (one fizzy), so we had to make a quick excursion to the local shop to buy some water (which surprisingly, they had in abundance!)

Add to that, some very loud arguing guests overnight (with us laughing at what we were hearing), and that sums up the experience!

Would I go there again?

Cathy said...

Dear Hypervox,

Oh dear. Oh DEAR. OH DEAR. DEAR OH DEAR. DEAR OH DEAR OH DEAR!!!!!

At least it gives you sumthink to larff about. From a safe distance, of course.

Hypervox said...

Laughingly Cathy, we did enjoy it. Once we got past these little niggles, the place was fine. Food was excellent, which helped a lot.

Ah, but we all go for the bed, don't we? :)

Tim Leatherbarrow said...

I do hope your not like that crazy cartoonist woman Kath Moon who throws tellys out of windows and blows up toilets and drives her miss Marple bike into the swimming pool/water feature. She drinks a lot and destroys her pencils and brush pens after every cartoon gig.I wish i could stay in a hotel with her.
Tim with the creased trousers xx

Cathy said...

Hypervox - not just the bed; don't forget the trouser press!

Timbo - you should know perfectly well by now that I'm JUST like that crazy cartoon woman. It's just that I don't do caricatures. If you're worried about your creased trousers and aren't in a hotel room, lay them out carefully under your mattress before going to bed. That'll iron them out a treat.