Thursday 1 February 2007

Big Stones Part 1


This is just the first bit because I've seen lots of big stones over the last few days ... but the first site is Rollright.  Here is a bit of the stone circle.  It's one of those where you're not supposed to be able to count the stones ... this photo won't be any help with this cos for I didn't attempt to photograph the whole site.  Though it will help you count to seven.



This is the King Stone, who is just over the county boundary and is therefore a resident of Warwickshire.  Apparently he goes down to Little Rollright spinney to drink - this has obviously been a cause for concern in the past, because they've fenced him in.  According to the 18th century antiquarian, William Stukeley, it was a spot where young people met at a special time and made merry with cakes and ale. Maybe they got fed up with him trying to join in.



Finally, here are the Whispering Knights - well, they haven't got much to do, being blocked into a small space like that.

Anyway, coming soon ... Avebury ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count to seven? I can only count six! No hang on five....er no, it's eight. Bugger, they keep moving around!
Tony the bass.

Cathy said...

They like to run around like that because it makes it look as though there are more of them!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,
Interesting post. I'll look out for your Avebury pictures. I've always meant to visit there one day. There's loads in Cornwall I haven't seen yet.

I've had problems accessing a few Blogs lately. Have you had the same trouble?

Chris

Cathy said...

Yes, indeed. In fact I'd have put these pics up sooner but I couldn't get on to my OWN blog. And then when I did, there were some weird things happening with the editing bits. I hope it's Blogger with the problem, and not my (hitherto) trusty machine!

Paula Bowles said...

oh my god, Cathy, Little Rollright is literally next to my village!!! I can't believe it, if you're round this way again let me know, we should meet up :o) xxx

Cathy said...

Paula - it would be great to meet up - as it happens I do spend some time in and around Oxfordshire, for a variety of reasons!

And I've got your address somewhere.

Paula Bowles said...

I'll pm you my addy :o)