Tuesday 2 January 2007

And while the morris dancers were hanging out at the back ...

Here's the final ruf (if that's not a contradiction in terms) for the front of the CD. You may notice certain similarities between this and the ruf I posted a little while back, but this one's more, well, crowded.

While I was drawing the new arrivals I was listening to a piece on Radio 4 about the latest bunch of immigrants to arrive on these shores.

It's funny the way this sometimes happens.

When I was adding the finishing touches to the infamous watercolour 'March past of the Kitchen Utensils', I was also listening to the book at bobotime on Radio 4, and the incidental music was, indeed, Vaughan Williams' 'March past of the Kitchen Utensils'.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Could you explain (for the stupid :) what a rough is in this context ? I'm used to the idea of a rough sketch, but that looks from here like a final thing - is it a matter of medium, or size, or is the drawing actually "rough" ?

Cathy said...

In the context of illustration, a rough means the design for the final illustration. Some people's really are 'rough'; I always prefer to do mine to quite a finished state

a) because you can work out any problems at this stage of the operation,and not when you are half way through the final piece.

b) clients are not necessarily particularly visually literate (in the sense of being able to look at a very rough drawing for a new piece, comparing it with a finished piece by the same artist, and using the latter to visualise how the new one will look). The more finished the rough is, the easier it is for them to get an idea of how the final piece will appear.

For this particular jobbie, the final one will be very colourful - there are e.g's elsewhere on the blog, such as 'March Past of the Kitchen Utensils' which also uses this cross-hatched style!

Joanna said...

I think I should get my roughs more finished but it takes so long!

Love the ruf.

I often think how strange it is while listening to things they coincide. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece

Lee said...

this is great...I like the crowded look and your technical explanation :) Happy New Year!