Wednesday 10 January 2007

Exercise bikes and things.

I was listening to a radio broadcast this afternoon about working from home; one of the guys they interviewed was describing his work room, where the furnishings included an exercise bike. This struck me as his way of cycling to work.

Then I went to the gym and had a go on an exercise bike. They have a thing on which tells you how far you've gone; I've always found this quite amusing as it reminds me of that bit in Alice Through the Looking Glass where the Red Queen grabs Alice and they go racing away. The Queen tells Alice that it's sometimes necessary to run very fast just to stay in the same place.

But what particularly impressed me was another contraption where you can exercise your arm muscles via a cycling-type thingy - but it also gives an indication how far you've gone, in kilometres! I can't understand why, unless it's part of the training for people who go walking along on their hands! Very useful if you've got blisters on your feet, I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used a excercise bike in the gym for a while. Then I realised it was pointless cycling nowhere while being forced to watch "Eastenders" on a big screen when I could actually get my real bike out and cycle through the Cotswold countryside.
Tony the bass