Tuesday 7 July 2009

I think Internet Explorer is getting its own back

A couple of years ago, I was having 'issues' (that's what you have these days, innit?) with Internet Explorer 6. It kept encountering problems and having to close, and I changed my web-surfing companion to Opera, which has all sorts of features, is mildly eccentric and made of sterner stuff. That is, it didn't throw its toys out of the pram and storm off every time there was an error. No, it remembered the dictum that 'poise is the art of gaining results by raising the eyebrows rather than raising the roof', and just got on with it.

However, the software I use to create my website, courtesy of Mr Site, doesn't like Opera, so I was obliged to resort to Internet Explorer when I wanted to do a mini-update. Ah, but then it decided IE 6 wasn't good enough any more, and I had to do an upgrade to the 7th version. At least this one doesn't keep closing itself down every three minutes or so, but now, whenever I turn the computer on, I get a message telling me that I'm running out of space on local disc 'C'. I respond defiantly by doing a cleanup and deleting all but the last restore point. Then everything seems tickety-boo and hunky-dory - until the next time I log on, when the same ominous message appears. However, I've noticed that every time I turn the computer off, it installs 'important updates' ...unless I tell it not to.

I have a nasty feeling that the 'important updates' are the self-same files which are binned when I do the thingy with the restore point.

Is there anyone out there who's good at creating houseroom who could offer an opinion on this negative situation?

5 comments:

Chris.P said...

You should probably try this section of that website first:

[Adjust the size of your cache.........]

Hypervox said...

I hate to say it, but unless you can uninstall some programs you don't use, or archive some of your data, you're going to eventually require a bigger hard disk. Not too big a job if you have a desktop machine, slightly more complicated if you have a laptop. If you were based in the east of england, I'd do it for you myself....

Tim Leatherbarrow said...

I knew it from the moment we met that you wos a 'geezer', i think it was the balaclaver and you kept telling me what you'd like to do to people who were made of 'F**in' grass, or something!..You can't move for ex-armed robbers who've got art history and sociology degrees...Now if you'd done a computer course you wouldn't have any of the aforementioned problems.

justdoodleit said...

Cathy, IE7 is of the Mesozoic era! Switch to the awesome Firefox or Chrome for a nice browsing experience.

Cathy said...

I actually use Opera, and I'm very happy with it; it's just that the Mr Site software doesn't work in Opera, hence the need to use IE7. I've tried Firefox and it wouldn't save the cookies for an online forum I access frequently.