Sunday 16 September 2007

Illustration Friday - Wedding



The theme for this week is 'wedding', but due to a typographical error this one has come out as 'Weeding' and is a bit of a warning about remembering to wear strong gloves when you're weeding.

Plants can be very dangerous - this has been celebrated in literature by such works as 'The Day of the Triffids' and in music: 'Be Careful of the Flowers cos I'm sure they're Going To Get You', but you can see very clearly from this illustration that lots of planty-type things will bite back, given half a chance.

Certainly, when I trim my pyracantha hedge, it's usually a 1-1 draw, and it takes approximately the same length of time for the bits I've removed from IT, and the bits it's removed from ME, to grow back.

As a concession to the original theme given by IF, this pic at least has lots of white in it.  Sorry.

11 comments:

janie said...

OOh, very sharp and to the point!
nasty weeds.
Reminds me,I have a great crop of nettles at the end of the garden, I keep meaning to harvest for soup:)
I've never tried nettle soup but it's supposed to be good for you.

Janet said...

Love the style and the detail of this piece! BTW, only if the gloves go up to your elbows, you might be safe.

Cathy said...

Janie - nettle soup is great - tastes like spinach, but make sure you only pick the tender young shoots. The older leaves are very tough.

Janet - yep - I really need some elbow length gloves; the hand equivalent of thigh-length waders I suppose!

Nicole said...

Nice drawing!

natural attrill said...

I like this, very funny and great to look at, lovely plant characters.
Penny.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer is teaching the adult education class on marriage, and says the dictionary defines wedding as "the process of removing weeds from one's garden."

Cathy said...

I like that! The Simpsons are, of course, distant relatives anyway ...

bee'nme said...

Clever twist on the theme - your line work is lyrical - so fun and whimsical. Love it! Thanks for the smile!

Alina Chau said...

Wicked awesome!! Love your characters!!

saleo said...

Your line work is very good. I like the overall composition too: the circular motion inside this image is really eye-catching.

clare said...

Oh yes, just the sort of dyslexic reading I am more than capable of ; )